Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Corner

A messy kitchen.

A messy life.

A puddle of tears on the floor.

A perfectly organized Tupperware cupboard. 

When I was young, and faced with the task of cleaning my unimaginably messy room, I would feel so very, very overwhelmed.  Longing for some order and with no idea of how to achieve it, I would more often than not plop down in the middle of the clothes and shoes and books and cry.  My mother, no doubt responding to the sound of my angsty teenage wailing, would come in and say,

"When I am overwhelmed, I always start in the corner.  Just pick a corner."

And it worked like magic.  Instead of focusing on the enormity of the mess (oh how did I get myself into this again?) I could just focus on a piece.  On a corner.  Then the next small piece, and the next.  Before I knew it, like a miracle, order was restored.

We are halfway through the week, and this week?  Well let's just say it's a doozy.

The kids are all discombobulated after five days off school over Thanksgiving.  A change in routine, even a fun one, gets everyone off balance and we are all paying for it this week.  I have talked with no fewer than six different school staff members so far this week because of off kilter kids and resulting behavior challenges.  The Kindergartner won't get on the school bus, and I have delivered her, tantrumming, to the Guidance Counselor every day prior to school.  The Boy won't read or do homework and is back to kicking walls.  The Teenager refused to attend class today, and after dragging him to school, slept for two hours on his Guidance Counselor's floor.

Did I mention it's a doozy of a week?

And then, after rushing to a preventative/wellness doctor appointment that I was late for because of aforementioned tantrumming Kindergartner, I was found to have three suspicious moles. 

"We need to biopsy these today."  says my dermatologist while drawing up a syringe of lidocaine.

So now I have stitches, phantom mole pain and possibly melanoma.

And I really do not have time right now for melanoma.  God knows that, right?  Right?!

Yes sir, it has been a doozy of a week.

So tonight, surrounded by surly children who needed so much of me that three meals of dishes remained in the sink all day (not to mention mountains of laundry and countess other neglected household responsibilities), I handed the lot of them off to the rather unsuspecting husband mere moments after he walked in the door.  I suppose he saw the running mascara and thought it best to give me a breather.  And I? I chose a corner to start in.

A messy kitchen.

A messy life.

A puddle of tears on the floor.

A perfectly organized Tupperware cupboard. 

And, yes, I feel much better now.  Thanks, Mom.

6 comments:

  1. Your mom is a wise woman. It's amazing what one little area of calm and organization can do for your mood. Hope the end of the week is better than the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes all you need is one little area for life to seem manageable again. One foot in front of the other, right?

      Delete
  2. Oh Heather! You so deserve a break. When I actually have a clean corner somewhe (rare), I just sit and stare at it. Go stare at your Tupperware! Let me know if there's anything I can do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to feel like something got accomplished. Especially on those days when your best parenting efforts seem fruitless! Just keep writing. The giggles from your posts help keep me afloat!

      Delete
  3. I'm puddling tears for you here in Seattle. I love you and wish I was there to do your dishes and cry with you:) - sis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh geez, like you need another reason to cry! Knock it off all ready. Miss you. Tons.

      Delete